Makes about 7 cups, good for 5 to 7 servings
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium bell peppers, seeded and diced
Three 425-gram cans of beans, rinsed and drained, such as: kidney beans, white beans, lentils
1 tbsp smoked mild paprika and / or mild chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp dry oregano
800-gram can of diced tomatoes
Salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste
Optional 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- Warm the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and a big pinch of salt and pepper; cook until soft and translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Stir in the bell pepper, beans, spice mix, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice or bread.
- If you prefer to use fresh cooked beans, substitute the 3 cans with 4 1/2 cups of cooked beans (1 1/2 cups x 3 types of beans).
- The chili’s flavor gets better through the days!
- Smoked mild paprika is worth looking for – not all supermarkets carry it but some do. Also check Indian grocery stores. If you can’t find it, substitute with mild chili powder.