As the cold BER months arrive, it’s important to toughen up one’s immune system. Perfect for the cold weather, this ginger latte supports digestion and helps relieve nausea, cramps, headaches, and arthritic pains.
Makes about 1 1/2 cups or 1 serving
1 inch ginger, scrubbed well and optionally peeled
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Dash of black pepper
3/4 cup soy milk, coconut milk, or almond milk
3/4 cup water or more milk
Optional alternative sweetener to taste (coconut sugar, muscovado, agave nectar, coconectar, stevia)
- Slice the ginger thinly and place in a small saucepan together with the turmeric, pepper, milk, and water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and discard the ginger slices. Stir in the optional sweetener and serve.
- Turmeric’s superpowers and bioavailability are heightened when consumed with black pepper.
- Add other spices, such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves if desired.
- Turmeric fights inflammation, cancer, and diabetes.
- Make a double, triple or quadruple batch and store in the refrigerator. Drink iced or hot.