Here is an interesting way to prepare tofu for breakfast! The scramble gets its eggy yellow color from turmeric, which is a powerful source of anti-inflammatory compounds. Tofu is high in protein and has cancer-fighting properties. This dish gets better through the days thanks to the dry herbs. It’s packed with veggies too, which is always a bonus to have at breakfast time.
Makes 2 1/2 cups or 3 to 4 servings
300 gram block of firm tofu, rinsed and drained
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 red or white onion, diced
3 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp dry thyme
1/2 tsp dry oregano
1/2 cup tomatoes, dices
1/2 tsp dry turmeric
1/2 cup spinach leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the tofu into a bowl until no large chunks remain. It should look like white scrambled eggs.
- Warm the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onions with salt and pepper until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, garlic, thyme, and oregano and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes. Add a splash of water if the pan seems dry.
- Add the tomatoes with another pinch of salt and pepper; cook until softened and broken down, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tofu and turmeric and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until warmed through. Adjust for seasonings accordingly.
- Fold in the spinach and cook for a minute. Remove from heat and serve.
- You can substitute the fresh mushrooms with dried ones – just soak in hot water for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice for a fantastic breakfast!