People are always on the lookout for seriously healthy snacks and this is the perfect one. Store-bought granola bars are chock-full of sugar to make them taste good. These bars have no added sugar and use bananas and dried fruit for their natural sweetness. Oats are a whole grain carb while nuts and seeds are satiating and full of protein. Just individually wrap them and store in the fridge or freezer – they’ll be ready as your pre- or post-workout snack quicker than it takes to go to the store to buy bars!
Makes 8 to 12 bars
1 cup mashed or pureed bananas
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil or regular coconut oil, optional but good
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups quick or instant oats
1 1/3 cups mix of nuts or seeds such as: chopped walnuts, sliced almonds, cashews, peanuts,sunflower seeds, and / or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup dried fruit such as: raisins, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, goji berries, chopped mango, chopped pineapple, and / or chopped dates
3 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / gas mark 4. Line an 8×8 inch square baking pan with non stick baking paper, letting the sides hang out.
- In a medium bowl, stir the wet ingredients together until mixed through. In a larger mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan and press down with a spoon or your hands until even.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes until firm and golden. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes; remove the bars from the oven and set on a rack until col enough to handle.
- Slice into 8 or 12 bars and individually wrap them in plastic wrap or foil. Keep in the refrigerator up to 1 week or the freezer for 2 to 3 months.