We’ve all heard about the importance of drinking water throughout the day. Water is vital for our body to maintain temperature, remove waste, lubricate our joints, and maintain our overall health. But, even if we know how important it is to drink up, most of us find it difficult to drink the 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of water recommended per day. Here are some simple tips to get into the habit of hydrating daily:
- Add more flavor. Add a drop of lemon, chunks of watermelon, or orange slices into your water to add some zing to your drink and get you more excited to drink more water throughout the day.
- Wake up to water. Once you get out of bed, drink a glass of water to start your day.
- Drink before meals. Practice drinking one to two glasses of water before a meal. If you’re trying to lose weight, consider this as an incentive to lose weight since water will make you feel full and help you eat less.
- Bring a bottle. Carry a bottle of water wherever you go and take frequent sips throughout the day. Note how many times you refill your bottle so you are aware of how much water you’re drinking.
- Drink more when you workout. You already know that you lose a lot of fluids when you sweat. Make sure you hydrate well after exercise whether it’s water or your favorite sports drink.
- Use technology. There are several health websites and apps that allow you to monitor your hydration or even remind you to drink up throughout the day. Even simpler, just set regular alarms on your smartphone to take water breaks.
- Say good night with water. Every time you say good night to your partner or to your child, drink a glass of water to end the day right and get a good night’s sleep.