When hunger strikes at midday, most of us are susceptible to grabbing the closest thing around: the bag of chips at home or pack of biscuits at the office, or we swiftly drive through our favorite fast food for a quick bite. For a more wholesome diet, it’s best to come prepared with healthy snack options. Here are nutritious snacks that you can easily prepare at home or carry along with you on a busy day:
- Granola Yogurt Parfait. Drop store-bought granola and your favorite fruits, like mangoes and bananas, into a cup of Greek yogurt. Sprinkle with raw honey if you have a sweet tooth.
- Avocado Toast. Roughly mash one avocado leaving some chunks for texture. Spread on whole wheat toast. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste and squeeze a bit of lemon unto it if you wish.
- Baked Kamote Fries. Slice sweet potato or kamote in a small strips. Drizzle with olive oil and baked in an oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle sea salt before eating.
- Carrot and Celery Sticks. Dip carrot and celery sticks into cottage cheese for a simple yet satisfying snack.
- Hummus and Tortilla. Spread hummus on whole wheat tortilla and enjoy a protein-rich filling snack. You may purchase hummus at your favorite Greek store or at Healthy Options.
- Banana Smoothie. Drop two frozen bananas into your blender. Add 1 cup of almond milk, 1 handful of your favorite greens like spinach or lettuce, and mix away for a cool treat!
- Almond butter and Banana Sandwich. Spread almond butter on a slice of whole wheat bread, put sliced bananas, and top with another slice of bread. You may opt for peanut butter as well.